Pumpkin seeds – if you have tried them you know that they are a delicious treat. Did you know they also provide many health benefits?
Here are ten:
1. Prostate Protection – They promote overall prostate health and alleviate the difficult urination associated with enlarged prostate. Men should eat a handful of pumpkin seeds every day. They work as prevention as well as treatment.
2. Improved Bladder Function – Studies show that pumpkin seed extracts improved bladder function.
3. Depression Treatment – Pumpkin sees contain L-tryptophan, a compound naturally effective against depression.
4. Prevention of Osteoporosis – Pumpkin seeds are a natural protector against osteoporosis, because they are high in zinc. Studies show that low intake of zinc is linked to higher rates of osteoporosis.
5. Natural Anti-Inflammatory – Pumpkin seeds reduce inflammation effectively without the side effects of anti-inflammatory drugs.
6. Prevention of Kidney Stones – Studies show that pumpkin seeds prevent calcium oxalate kidney stone formation.
7. Treatment of Parasites – Many cultures use pumpkin seeds as a natural treatment for tapeworms and other parasites. Studies have also shown them to be effective against acute schistosomiasis, a parasite contracted from snails.
8. Good Source of Magnesium – Only 1/2 cup of pumpkin seeds contains 92% of your daily value of magnesium. Studies show that most Americans are deficient of this important mineral.
9. Lower Cholesterol Naturally – Pumpkin seeds contain phytosterols, which are compounds that have shown to reduce levels of LDL cholesterol.
10. Cancer Prevention – Studies show that the same phytosterols that lower cholesterol also protect against many cancers.