Herb butter is easy to make and great to use with many dishes: pasta, steamed vegetables, baked potato, corn-on-the-cob, fish, toast, etc. It keeps well in your freezer, and is great to keep on hand for jazzing up those last-minute meals, or add a gourmet touch on special occasions.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Combine all ingredients. Serve immediately. Refrigerate leftovers.
- 4 ounces cream cheese (fat-free works fine as well)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- Dash pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon zesty Italian salad dressing mix
- 1/8 teaspoon lemon juice
Combine all the ingredients until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
Try this zesty butter on a slice of homemade bread hot from the oven. There is nothing better! The fresh herbs make a little go a long way. You will use less but still get great flavor. It’s also amazing on baked potato.
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons minced fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne
Mix all ingredients until evenly combined.
Lay about a foot long section of plastic wrap or wax paper on a work surface. Put the herb butter on the bottom center, and form into a mound about 8 inches long. Fold the bottom edge over the butter and roll forward until completely wrapped, forming a tube of butter about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Twist the ends together. Refrigerate until firm or freeze for up to 1 month. Slice as needed.
Go ahead and experiment with herb combinations: Parsley, sage, or a combination of parsley, chives, basil, thyme and tarragon. Chives, chervil, salad burnet, tarragon, cress and capers make a tasty combination as well. Also delicious are: parsley and chives with small amounts of thyme, dill, basil, oregano or rosemary.